[NHCOLL-L:2215] Re: new cabinets: points to consider

Furth David Furth.David at NMNH.SI.EDU
Thu Feb 19 17:29:13 EST 2004

We have recently moved a huge part of our collections into compactorized and
non-compactorized new cabinetry.  We surveyed several different kinds of
companies, including Lane, Delta and Steel Fixture (actually related since
one evolved from the other), and Viking (formerly Interior).  By far Viking
has proven the best cabinetry on several levels, including recessed and
non-recessed handles, on compactors or not, double doors and not, alcohol
cabinets or not, herbarium cabinets on compactors or not, gasketing,
drawer-fit, pest-proofing, etc., etc.  Also important is their salesmanship,
user-friendly attitude, efficiency and timeliness.  I could go into many
details, but I would be better able to explain by phone rather than email
(for a change).  So if you like, feel free to call.

David G. Furth, Ph.D.
Collections Manager
Department of Entomology, MRC 165
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
P. O. Box 37012
Washington, D. C. 20013-7012
Phone: 202-357-3146
Fax: 202-786-2894
Email: furth.david at nmnh.si.edu
Website: http://entomology.si.edu

>>> "Kate Wellspring" <kwellspring at amherst.edu> 02/19/04 01:07PM >>>
Good day,

We are in the process of reviewing demo models of various types of steel
storage cabinets to be purchased and placed in a new museum facility.  We
currently have very few steel cabinets, and are thus still learning about
their finer points.  If you have past/current experience in choosing
cabinetry/drawers for your collections, we would be very interested to hear
your comments, horror stories, etc.

So far we are looking at double-width models by Viking and Steel Fixture.
While we like certain qualities for each of them, some issues of concern are
the ease with which removed drawers can be reinserted into their runners,
drawer and external door torsion, durability of gasketing, and drawer
release hardware that is not user friendly.  You may be aware of other
important factors that we have not yet considered, and we would be most
grateful if you would pass them along.

Thank you in advance.

Kate Wellspring

Kate Wellspring, Collections Manager