[NHCOLL-L:2222] Fw: Storage

Dr H. Fourie hfourie at nfi.co.za
Thu Feb 26 08:06:24 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Dr H. Fourie
To: NHCOLL-L at lists.yale.edu
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 10:08 AM
Subject: Storage

Wood versus archival material boxes:
A year ago I went through a lengthy exercise to replace painted wooden boxes in our fossil type room with polypropylene containers.  To provide support and stability I used polyethylene foam sheets inside the containers.  One of the products I used is called Correx (a plastic corrugated box).  No lids are necessary as these are stored on glass shelves in closable cupboards.  Now these containers are going to be replaced with wood.  I was under the impression that even natural wood emits gases such as acetic and formic acids detrimental to Glyptal covered specimens.
My question: Is this a good idea.  Never mind the additional R 8000-00 they intend to spend.

Dr H. Fourie
Research: Vertebrate Palaeontology,
Transvaal Museum, Pretoria
South Africa