[NHCOLL-L:2191] Cryogenic collections - extracted DNA

Andy Bentley ABentley at ku.edu
Thu Jan 29 10:58:36 EST 2004

Hi there

Here at the Natural History Museum in Lawrence, Kansas we have a large
collection of frozen fish tissues.  A large number of these tissues have
been extracted in-house and I was wondering if anyone else who manages a
tissue collection was in the habit of cataloging or storing extracted DNA as
well as, or together with, the tissue samples??  One of our prerequisites of
use is that all sequences are lodged with Genbank but extarcted DNA would
represent a step in the process between tissue and sequence data.
Extractions would be of great use in cases where tissue material is at a
premium and aliquots of extracted DNA could be sent to researchers instead
of actual tissue.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has any comments or has
experience with managing extracted DNA collections (either on or off list).

Thanks

Andy
   A  :             A  :             A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
   V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA