[NHCOLL-L:2328] RE: Shipping Alcohol-Preserved Specimens

Judith Price JPRICE at mus-nature.ca
Thu Jun 17 12:16:17 EDT 2004

Ross

"Canada does not have the restrictions on mailing specimens..."

Unfortunately this is false.  Quite apart from the fact that Canada Post
does not knowingly accept any quantity of dangerous goods, any
interpretation of national regulations is secondary to international
regulation of shipping by air.  In other words, anyone who says the rules
are different in their country is wrong.

The United States Postal Service may have small quantities exemptions for
users of their service inside the USA, but some institutions are not
interpreting that as permission because as soon as a shipment is loaded on
an airplane it is subject to regulation by the International Air Transport
Association (IATA) and International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
Ground transport is different, but most carriers will require you to file
full air-transport TDG paperwork in case it is more expedient for them to
ship by air.

Yes, SPNHC has struck a committee to examine the possibility of getting a
variance for scientific work, but the number of factors involved may make
this very complicated.  We must also be aware that increased security
concerns in our modern world have made this process only more difficult.

Canadians who would like more information about Transport of Dangerous Goods
can consult the Transport Canada website at:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/tdg/menu.htm

Judith

Judith C. Price
Secretary, Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections
Please visit us at http://spnhc.org/
Assistant Collection Manager, Invertebrates
Canadian Museum of Nature
PO Box 3443, Station D
Ottawa, ON  K1P 6P4
jprice at mus-nature.ca