[NHCOLL-L:2335] Re: collection organization

David Furth Furth.David at NMNH.SI.EDU
Thu Jun 17 14:14:10 EDT 2004

I agree with John.  Phylogenies continually change, but the alphabet does not.  Practicality should prevail over theoretics.

David G. Furth, Ph.D.
Collections Manager
Department of Entomology, MRC 165
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
P. O. Box 37012
Washington, D. C. 20013-7012
Phone: 202-357-3146
Fax: 202-786-2894
Email: furth.david at nmnh.si.edu
Website: http://entomology.si.edu

>>> "Simmons, John E" <jsimmons at ku.edu> 06/17/04 12:49PM >>>
Judith,
Phylogenetic order?  Cool.  Can you send me a photograph of your storage furniture arranged in a branching sequence?  I want to see this.

All kidding aside, collections arranged in phylogenetic order are never really in phylogenetic order because they are linear (unless you are very Aristotelian about your classification system).  We gave up on the faux-phylogenetic order years ago and now have the collection separated into sections using a phylogenetic unit (Order) but within each order the specimens are arranged the alphabetically by family, genus, and species, with a further arrangement within species by geographic unit.  We do not pretend to arrange the Orders in a phylogenetic order.

--John