[NHCOLL-L:2340] Re: (no subject)

Shirley S Albright shirley.albright at sos.state.nj.us
Thu Jun 17 15:22:24 EDT 2004

There are a lot of reasons for having shelf lists; that is, having
locations as specific as drawer or shelf.   I'm a big proponent of
having specific locations even for large collections of natural history
objects for the following reasons:
1.  Retrieving specific objects quickly for audit requests.  We are a
unit of state government and have had to retrieve specimens on very
short notice.   Also, having gone through reaccreditation recently, the
visiting committee requested similar retrieval.
2.  If the person(s) with collection expertise is unavailable (absent
for field work, illness, etc.), a collection manager can retrieve the
objects even if they are not familiar with the taxonomy or systematic
nature of the organization.
3.  Sometimes an object is put on multiple shelves/drawers that are not
adjacent.   For example, one piece is ungoing preparation while others
are in storage.
4.  Inventory review.    At the very least you would have an effective
date for the piece before it went missing.
5.  God forbid you have to move your collections for catastrophic
reasons or even for a planned move...like we're going through.   It
saves soooo much time to be able to print off a shelf list on the spot
for whatever reason is forthcoming.
6.  A history of locations can be helpful, especially if the objects are
moving from their permanent storage location for research, loan,
exhibition, conservation or preparation.

That said, we've never had such control over our natural history objects
until we started data entry.  It seemed the logical place to start, and
once entered, locations can be altered or changed by batch.

Good luck.   In my experience it's usually the curators who oppose
having recorded location information because they are so familiar with
their collections that they can't see a reason for it.   But then again,
they're usually not the ones pulling objects for loans, returning
objects to storage or answering administrative inquiries.   Of course,
there are always exceptions even among the ranks of collection
management professionals.

Shirley Albright
Assistant Curator, Natural History
New Jersey State Museum