[NHCOLL-L:2346] Re: Insects and glue

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Jun 17 19:50:21 EDT 2004

and Dave Furth wrote:

>My experience is also with small critters and with mounting
>techniques and glues from around the world and going back well over
>100 years.  I have not experienced the problems Doug mentions with
>removing specimens or parts thereof with warm/hot water or with
>dissecting them.

Which makes me wonder now whether I had been misinformed as to the
nature of the glue used by Timberlake for his specimens, which are
what most of my experience has been with (I'd been told it was
water-soluble, and it doesn't seem to dissolve well in water,
ethanol, or acetone). Is there any definitive method to distinguish
the different sorts of glues? Also, is it possible that there is an
interaction between the point and the glue when the paper has a high
acid content, such that it alters the properties of the glue?

So, you're all saying that good ol' Elmer's glue is actually just
fine and dandy? That certainly would simplify things...

Thanks,