[NHCOLL-L:2464] Re: Herbarium insurance estimation

Shirley S Albright shirley.albright at sos.state.nj.us
Thu Nov 4 09:31:16 EST 2004

I'd be interested in hearing more on this subject also.   Our Risk
Management Department has just renewed their interest in museum
collections....in part due to 9-ll and in part due to the sudden
realization that state government has been ignoring the assets of the
state museum.    I'd be particularly interested in insurance valuations
for Type specimens and extinct species (taxidermied, skinned, pinned,
fluid-preserved).    Comparables seem to be somewhat easier to come by
for minerals, meteorites, and some fossil specimens, but to get the
entire collection appraised is out of the question.

Shirley Albright
Assistant Curator of Natural History
New Jersey State Museum