[NHCOLL-L:2473] Re: [Fwd: Sea Shell damage]

Richard Rego mummichog at verizon.net
Wed Nov 17 10:56:45 EST 2004

Hello All,

 Could it be Byne's Disease?  Shells kept in a humid environment and in wooden drawers or wooden lined cabinets (or other acid producing materials, like unbuffered storage trays) will become etched over time from acids that condense on the shells.  Usually a powdery coating will form upon the shells.  This "disease" is most noticable on glosst shells such as Cypraeidae and Ovulidae, however it affects almost all other shells.

    If you see this type of damage, then there is no reversing it.  You can, however, stop the further damage by storing the shells properly in an acid free environment.  Before transferring the specimens to new storage, they should all be immersed in distilled water to remove any acidic residue from the shells.

    A quick Google (or similar) search should bring up a couple of articles on Byne's Disease, most done by advanced private shell collectors.  The Conchologist's of America website http://coa.acnatsci.org/conchnet/ has a couple of articles on Byne's Disease.

    Hope this helps, as that's what the problem sounds like to me.

R.J. Rego