[NHCOLL-L:2630] Re: Field number for natural history collections

Shirley S Albright shirley.albright at sos.state.nj.us
Tue Apr 19 12:29:16 EDT 2005

Vusi,

Field numbers are assigned by a collector of objects or specimens while
in the field.  Field scientists carry field notebooks with them in which
they record all they do as the day passes.   It's rather like a diary,
and it may contain weather observations, notes about localities or
phenomena that are not represented by collected objects, drawings, data
about objects, directions or coordinates to a site, notes about how the
object was captured or collected, names of people accompanying the
researcher and personal comments etc.     Also, sometimes an object is
donated to a museum from a researcher who has kept the field notes in
their possession.   In the best of all worlds it would be great if the
insitution could at least photocopy the appropriate page from the field
note onto acid free paper, but that is not always possible.

Field numbers should be listed in your database along with the name of
the person who assigned the number.   There have been times when we have
had to contact the original collector about some odd question or
another, and the field number has enabled the scientist to refer back to
his/her notes.   Field researchers employ a variety of numbering styles
which is why it is important to include the field researcher's name.

Not all specimens that are given field numbers are eventually
catalogued.   Sometimes a plaster cast doesn't survive transport to the
lab or its contents are disappointing.   Sometimes an object is brought
back to the lab because its organic origin is questionable.

As to whether specimens collected an hour apart should be given
different field numbers.....I would, but not everybody does.   In my
opinion, associative data about the field collection site could easily
change in an hour or two.   It depends upon the kind of research being
done....so you're sort of at the whim of the field researcher.
However, I will say this....if different field numbers are provided,
don't try to move them under one number.    No doubt the researcher has
a reason for keeping them separate, and those scientific justifications
are pertinent.

Shirley Albright