[NHCOLL-L:2802] Old Herbaria

Shirley S Albright shirley.albright at sos.state.nj.us
Mon Aug 29 13:58:51 EDT 2005

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to locate 4 missing herbaria that were once housed at the New
Jersey State Museum (pre 1910).   There were referred to in Witmer
Stone's 1910 Annual Report of the New Jersey State Museum, "Plants of
New Jersey".    They were described as:

1.  A collection by Mr. C.S. Gross, formerly of Landisville, containing
about 2000 sheets of plants from Pleasant Mills, Mays Landing and vicinity.
2.   A collection by Prof. Austin P. Apgar, formerly of Trenton.
3.  A collection by Benjamin Heritage containing a full series of plants
from Mickelton and vicinity.
4.  A collection by Charles D. Lippincott containing plants of
Swedesboro and other parts of southern New Jersey.

It's possible these collections were broken apart and disseminated to
universities or private owners.   They may be distinguishable by labels
referring to these gentlemen as "collectors" of the specimen(s).
Unfortunately, I do not have any samples of their handwriting.

I would appreciate any responses.

Thank you.
Shirley Albright