[NHCOLL-L:2904] More on my closure test.

Thomas Labedz tlabedz1 at unl.edu
Wed Dec 14 14:48:34 EST 2005

NHCOLL-L subscribers,
	First, thank you all for the great suggestions and I hope someone with
space and time can look further at the question of closures.
	Second, I didn’t try to design any kind of true experiment.  It was
just an opportunity that got out of hand on the calendar and I thought
would be interesting.
	Third, here are some more notes and numbers.  I’ve copied my original
note to the bottom of this message for reference.
	The 3 mm decline in meniscus elevation corresponded to a 7.5 ml loss
in volume.  I carefully opened the jar on my shelf and used a syringe
to raise the meniscus to the ink mark made in 1995, measuring the fluid
I added.  The total volume at the ink mark corresponded to 105 ml.  I
carefully emptied the jar into a graduated cylinder to obtain that
figure.  If the jar had been filled full to the collar it would contain
approximately 136 ml fluid.  The percent volume lost over ten years was
7.5 ml / 105 ml X 100, or 7.14%.  Had the same loss occurred on a full
jar it would have been a 5.51% loss in volume.  Incidentally, the
alcohol tested at 61% using a hydrometer (I have no way to know the
exact alcohol concentration from 10 years other than it was around 60%,
obviously it was higher).
	Fourth, to answer to questions from others.  My office has very stable
temperature and moderately stable humidity controls, and no exposure to
sunlight and UV filtered lighting. My office, where the jar sat for ten
years, is 70 F and about 40-50% RH.
The collection room containing our fluid-preserved specimens has
similar stability but about 5 F cooler.
	I too have about 15,000 jars of fluid-preserved specimens to monitor.
Virtually all of our closures are the screw down type, and we have a
wide variety of those including two-part canning lids, bakelite,
plastic, enameled metal with paper liners, and these newer
polypropylene lids with foamed polyethylene liners.  I replace closures
with new ones at every opportunity, but the task is daunting and
budgets are low.  My current monitoring scheme is that every five years
every jar is lifted and examined for loss of fluid.  If fluid loss is
noted the jar is pulled, alcohol concentrations tested, the jar and
closure examined for defects, the alcohol brought to an acceptable
concentration (70%), closed and replaced to the shelf.  We do not get
the use of larger or better-known collections so purposeful, periodic
monitoring is necessary.  My hope is that these new closures will
expand that period from 5 to 10 years.
	The repeated use, opening and closing, of closures really does need to
be examined to help estimate a product’s useful longevity.  Many of the
closures in use in collections are probably designed for single use
sealing of commercial products and not intended for such long-term
operations.
	I would also like to see a comparison of the seal on wider (up to 110
mm) polypropylene lids versus the smaller lids like the 48 mm one used
in my experiment.  My gut feeling is that the seal is less effective on
the larger diameter closures.
	Again, thank you all for your interest and support.  Now I've got to
dust my shelf where that jar was sitting.
	Thomas E. Labedz, Collections Manager
Division of Zoology and Division of Botany
University of Nebraska State Museum
W-436 Nebraska Hall
Lincoln, NE  68588-0514
402.472.8366	fax 402.472.8949