[NHCOLL-L:2538] Repository agreements

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Tue Feb 1 15:20:36 EST 2005

Hi all

We here at the University of Kansas Natural History Museum are just starting to embark on the slippery slope of "Repository agreements" in which specimens are cataloged into your collection but ownership of the material is maintained by another entity (the co-signatory or originator of the agreement).  In effect this material is then on "permanent loan".  These agreements usually contain statements to the effect of the permission granting agency having the right to request that collected material be returned to them at any stage, permission needed to loan any of this material to a third party as well as having to lodge a certain proportion of the material with the co-signatory of the repository agreement.  Such agreements usually take the form of permission from a country to collect without them losing ownership of their biodiversity.  It is becoming increasingly difficult to collect in foreign countries without such an agreement being signed.  We have decided that it is time for us to come up with guidelines for such repository agreements and are at present working on such a document.

I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with these sorts of agreements and if so, has there ever been a case of anyone requesting material be repatriated for any reason?  Are there any horror stories involving such agreements?  Are there any pitfalls to be aware of?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

   A  :             A  :             A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
   V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA