[NHCOLL-L:2506] freezing mounted specimens

Kathryn Medlock kathryn.medlock at tmag.tas.gov.au
Mon Jan 3 19:46:41 EST 2005

We are currently in the process of moving our entire zoology
collections to new and better storage and of course wish to ensure
that pest problems are not just transferred. I might say that we have
few problems at present and have treated things as the need arises -
usually be freezing.

My problem now how to ensure the best way to de bug items prior to
the move. The collection contains a lot of recent material but also
includes valuable 19th century mounts of birds (cased and uncased),
mammals, trophy heads as well as osteological material across a range
of species. I have been attempting to find out what the best way to
go will be.

I am very suspicious of just freezing everything given that it seems
to be agreed in conservation circles that leather shouldn't be
frozen. As you would be aware, mounts are made of a wide variety of
materials - stuffing (straw, wood wool, fibreglass), wire or rode
metal supports, possibly plaster of paris, glass eyes, wooden base
that may contain dried vegetation etc etc. What happens to the bills
of large birds, ivory, teeth, webbed feet etc? Surely these materials
all react in different ways to the freezing process.

I have been told by some that freezing in OK, by others that teeth
cannot be frozen. Bromide apparently fades feathers. Carbon dioxide
is too dangerous and we are not set up for nitrogen.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to go. I am in
favour of treating only if suspicious rather than a blanket treatment
that may result in damage to the material.

Sincerely,

Kathryn Medlock
Curator
Vertebrate Zoology, Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery

--
Kathryn Medlock
Curator, Vertebrate Zoology
Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery