[NHCOLL-L:2513] Wet Collections Buildings data

Crimm, W. wcrimm at ewingcole.com
Thu Jan 6 14:46:39 EST 2005

For this year's SPNHC I am hoping Elizabeth Dietrich from NMNH @ the Smithsonian and I will be presenting the new wet collection storage facility as a completely documented project.

The core of our presentation is to compare the workflow of collections management staff in the old building vs. the new building in order to present that some new ideas will help workflow, and how codes, life safety concerns and OSHA will be changing work processes and practices significantly whether staff likes it or not.  Either way, the building will impact their daily work.

Part of our message is that this type of project is enormously more expensive and complicated than even the SI believed when we started due to the safety issues, and how only changes in practice can help them fully realize the safety built in.

However, just how expensive is it?  For a new building on this scale it is one number.  But what we want to show is that it is probably pretty different for each recent project out there, so I would like to capture this cost data from any institution who has completed what they feel is a safe facility, whether new or renovation.  This will help others to understand that they cannot take a number off the shelf or from someone else.

Can you share the cost numbers on your project and forward this email to others you know who may have recently completed a wet collections project.  If institutions must remain anonymous due to cost embarrassment, that is fine.  I will just need a brief description of the project SF (storage vs. collections management vs. office vs. research);  location;  date completed;  type of construction, etc.

Thanks

Walt Crimm
Vice President
EwingCole