[NHCOLL-L:2760] Fluid-preserved specimen storage

Barbian, Lenore T. Lenore.Barbian at afip.osd.mil
Thu Jul 7 16:18:58 EDT 2005

I've been asked to supply our director with information concerning a
potential rehousing and refurbishing of our fluid-preserved specimens
(+8,000 gross specimens).  Currently our specimens are primarily stored
in formalin, and I've been asked to plan for a conversion to alcohol.  I
know that there are strict standards regarding air handling, electrical
wiring, fire prevention, etc. that need to be followed in the
configuration of storage areas when alcohol is the preservative.  Is
anyone able to share those standards with me or point me in the right
direction to find them?  Thank you.

Lenore Barbian, PhD
Acting Curator, Anatomical Collections
National Museum of Health and Medicine