[NHCOLL-L:2680] Bags in Ethanol?

Darolyn Striley dstriley at nhm.org
Fri Jun 3 13:16:02 EDT 2005

Good morning!

I have a couple of curating questions for you all, I am trying to store
large crabs (like Lithodids) in steel tanks with 70% ethanol alcohol. Does
anyone have any experience with this?
Our Echinoderm Department has had success placing their large specimens in
tailor made Nitex bags. These bags are expensive.
Has anyone used some of the cheaper alternatives that are made with a)
polyethylene mesh, b) nylon monofilament or c) polyester monofilament, we
are thinking of ordering these bags from Aquatic Eco-systems Inc.
Are mesh bags even, the best possible storage? We need something strong
enough to withstand years of storage in alcohol and it needs to keep the
specimens separate, yet be easily opened and closed.

Thanks for your help!

Darolyn

--
Darolyn Striley