[NHCOLL-L:2716] Collections managers question

Mark O'Brien mfobrien at umich.edu
Tue Jun 21 16:05:37 EDT 2005

We are in the midst of trying to argue that our job titles and job
descriptions accurately reflect what Collections managers do; the new
Human Resources system has us categorized as Museums Registrars; and
the said job description certainly does not reflect what our jobs are.
We (and our directors) are working to change that.  Separate, is the
issue of being classified as exempt vs non-exempt employees.  Formerly,
we were all exempt, somehow the HRA people have determined that we do
not fall into the "Learned Professional" category to be exempt, so our
jobs will be changed to non-exempt status.  I am interested in knowing
what the situation is at your museums and institutions.  I think it
will be useful to show that the HRA people just do not understand the
unique nature of natural history museums and the fact that we are all
very specialized in what we do.  Having some figures to bolster our
argument will be helpful.

1. What are the requirements for a collections manager? i.e., advanced
degree, special training, etc.
2. Are you considered exempt (salaried) or non-exempt (hourly, no more
than 40hrs/week).

Thanks for your input.

Mark