[NHCOLL-L:2719] Re: Collections managers question

liath at umich.edu liath at umich.edu
Tue Jun 21 21:07:37 EDT 2005

> You apply this test to your desciption of the job, and don't worry about
> what anyone else is doing.

Ah, but here is the problem: our job descriptions did align with FLSA exempt
status, but the description has been conveniently (or through a simple
oversight) changed so that there is no longer any reference to research,
science or even the handling of specimens. All curatorial duties have been cut.
Our new job descriptions state that all we do is handle documents and records.
We need to get HR to rewrite our descriptions, but they claim to be using the
most accurate description of what we do. Below is the new description.

"Museum Registrar Senior
Directs all activities of the Registrar's Department and supervises staff
positions. Primary responsibility is collection maintenance and management with
regard to records, forms, legal documents, manual and computer files, and
systems associated with acquisition, deaccessioning, lending, borrowing,
packing, shipping (international and domestic), inventory, storage customs, and
traveling exhibitions. Assures the ethical integrity of the Museum's collection
management policies and procedures. Serves as liaison with outside scholars,
museum personnel, students, researchers, donors, and the general public by
answering requests for information regarding collections and museum policies
and procedures. Education and Experience: BA degree in art history or
museology, advanced degree preferred. 5 to 7 years museum registrarial and
supervisory experience. Knowledge of basic museum practices, procedures, and
standards. Under FLSA, incumbents in this position are nonexempt."

Liath Appleton
Collection Manager - Mollusks
Univ. of Michigan Museum of Zoology
1109 Geddes Ave.