[NHCOLL-L:2728] Re: FW: Registrar vs. Collections Manager vs.Curator of Collections

Herbel, Carrie L. Carrie.Herbel at sdsmt.edu
Thu Jun 23 13:10:10 EDT 2005

That would be great...but we still have to convince the Administration - THE most difficult thing to do.  Right now, our tiny Museum is trying to explain the difference between a Curator and a Collections Manager.  Our VP of Academic Affairs, who is our direct supervisor, thinks they are one and the same.  I've always thought that the two positions work hand-in-hand much of the time, but that the Curator, particularly at a research based muesum like our, does research in the collections, funds students working in the collections and teaches - in addition to curator duties; while the Collection Manager handles the day-to-day routines and deals with the database, loans, etc...

Can someone help me find or develop a clear cut explanation of the two?  The analogy of a Head Librarian (used by our Curator) was really not appropriate and I think only confused the VP more.

And yes Diane, forward any info from the Registrars Committee list.  I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks

HELP!

Carrie
Carrie L. Herbel
Collections Manager/Instructor/Preparator
Museum of Geology
South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
501 East Saint Joseph Street
Rapid City, South Dakota  57701
Office:  605-394-2487
Fax:  605-394-6131