[NHCOLL-L:2737] Re: FW: Registrar vs. Collections Manager vs. Curator of Collections

Mark O'Brien mfobrien at umich.edu
Fri Jun 24 09:05:38 EDT 2005

The other difference is that natural history and fine arts and cultural
museums use these terms differently.  Collections Managers in NH
museums identify, sort, research and evaluate specimens/objects as well
as making sure that these things are properly cared for, stored, and
catalogued.    Registrars in NH museums tend to be the ones
responsible for the paperwork, permits,  etc.,  and management
resulting from research use of the collections and their applied uses.
Cataloguing may or may not be a part of their jobs.  One thing that has
to be stressed is that if one is merely copying data from a card or
form into an electronic medium, we have to hope that the entry is
accurate.  However, what is different with biological specimens is that
someone, at sometime, had to identify the specimens that are being
databased.  Being able to interpret the validity and accuracy of the
identification (or in fact doing the ID)  is something that Collection
Managers do, not Registrars, and that is one large difference, IMHO.

On Jun 23, 2005, at 3:45 PM, Diane Gutenkauf wrote:

> More from the Registrar's list that might be helpful.
>
> Diane Gutenkauf

Mark F. O'Brien   <Insert Correct Job Title Here>
UMMZ Insect Division, 1109 Geddes Avenue
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079
734-647-2199    fax: 734-763-4080