[NHCOLL-L:2745] Re: Collections managers question

Shirley S Albright shirley.albright at sos.state.nj.us
Tue Jun 28 14:38:24 EDT 2005

Hi Mark,

Let me relate a little story about your issues from a civil service
perspective.   Currently, our museum uses the title Registrar as a "one
word fits all" term for anyone responsible for collection management
tasks in fine art, history, archaeology and natural history, AND it is a
nonexempt position [as is Assistant Curator].    The Registrar title was
moved from the purely secretarial/administrative category into the
professional  category after I instigated a review of the qualifications
needed to perform the responsibilities of the job....something that came
as an unwelcome and unpleasant shock to Human Resources because they
then needed to upgrade the salary.     Our next issue was the exempt
versus nonexempt status - terminology that is defined somewhat
differently around here.   Exempt basically means one can be required to
work above and beyond 40 hours per week for no compensatory time or
monetary remuneration - a status usually reserved for managerial
employees (museum director, curators or Bureau heads) whose
responsibilities may include emergency management, poor weather coverage
etc.     A non-exempt professional staffer works for a salary for 35
hours per week, but may be asked to work up to 5 additional hours per
week.   After 40 hours, the person receives compensatory time (not
money!) for authorized activity which often involved weekend work, after
hours work for special projects etc.

We are not permitted by civil service to use the term Collection Manager
because of the term "manager".   In all cases, only the top echelon of
bureaucracy (Curators and Directors) are "permitted" to be associated
with that term.   I have a few comments regarding that....but I'd better
keep those to myself!

I fully concur with all of you who have noted the high levels of
expertise needed by Registrars/ Collection Managers....and NOT just in
their chosen field of subject expertise.   In the complex world of
today's accredited museums, anyone involved with legal documents and
statutes, rights and reproductions, database management, digital archive
management, security and risk management, conservation and preparation
issues, OSHA, environmental standards for storage or exhibition of
objects - you catch my drift! -  requires professional levels of
expertise.    It's not enough today for a Registrar or Collection
Manager to focus solely on his/her scientific specialty.....that appears
to be a luxury available only to curators.     That's not to say there
aren't curators out there  with some of those additional skill sets
also, but to a lesser extent.

Perhaps the problem really can be laid at the feet of evolution.
Museums and the expectations for collections have changed rapidly,
requiring further specializations than were originally needed by
curators as object gatherers, researchers and keepers.   The titles just
haven't kept pace with the requirements placed on collection care,
management, and access.     Someone has to address all these "new"
requirements and you can bet your bottom dollar that in midsize to large
institutions, it won't be the curators.  They (the curators) are
engaging in their own races trying to keep abreast of developments in
narrowly defined fields of expertise.

At one time, there was ladder or succession from Registrar/Collection
Manager to Assistant Curator to Curator....or something similar.   The
idea being that a Registrar/Collection Manager was an entry level
position filled by professional newbie: that as an individual matured in
their research and publication status, they would move up in the ranks
to curator.    Today, a parallel but separate hierarchy for real
collection management seems to have arisen.    I think that's a good
thing, given the range of issues that have to be handled  today.
Professional?   Absolutely.     Should it be exempt?  Well, that depends
on the institution's definition of the word.   Any professional title
requires work above and beyond 40 hours per week, ability to perform
independent decisions, some degree of self-motivation and educational
credentials/experience or certifications.   I'll add "ongoing
professional development" to that list also.     However, the
aforementioned attributes should not become a license for the employer
to take advantage of people, contrary to Fair Labor Laws.....and THAT'S
where it sometimes becomes a "sticky wicket".

Shirley Albright
(former Science Registrar then Assistant Curator.....still evolving!)
New Jersey State Museum