[NHCOLL-L:2570] bird collections take flight in Dublin

Julia Sigwart julia.sigwart at ucd.ie
Thu Mar 3 12:03:59 EST 2005

Dear All,

Complete catalogues of all skins, taxidermy mounts, and skeleton
specimens of non-passerines in the National Museum of Ireland
(Natural History) are now available on-line (over 8,300 birds).
Catalogues are available as PDF documents at
http://www.ucd.ie/zoology/cobid/

It is important to note that the labour used to database this
collection came entirely from non-ornithologists (students and
volunteers).  Many of the taxonomic names used are taken directly
from the specimen labels, which have not been looked at for the most
part since ca. 1900.  These catalogues are a DRAFT of the final
published version which will be made available next summer.  If you
do find errors, please notify our Chief Corrector, Eric Callaghan
<eric.callaghan at ucd.ie>

This project, among many, has been done as a collaborative venture
between the National Museum of Ireland and University College Dublin
("Collections-based Biology in Dublin": CoBiD), which was founded two
years ago. Cataloguing work on the non-passerine collection was
completed from June 2003- August 2004.  Around 50% of the collection
was never formally accesssioned before this project began (you will
note a lot of catalogue numbers beginning 2003 and 2004!)

We are currently preparing the non-passerine catalogue for
publication as an "electronic book" on CD-ROM including a searchable
database as well as "printable" version similar to that currently
available.  I would appreciate hearing from you if you are interested
in getting a copy.

Thanks,

Julia

---