[NHCOLL-L:2605] Formalin

Chris Wolfe cwolfe at ou.edu
Tue Mar 29 10:40:11 EST 2005

Good morning!

I noticed while perusing the new Aldrich catalog that there are several
formaldehyde formulations available for mixing formalin solutions.  Our
herpetology department has been using a formaldehyde solution that is
37 wt. % in solution, and based on information in the catalog and from
a customer service representative, our product has a 10-15% methyl
alcohol concentration and a ~0.03% formic acid concentration.  There is
also another formulation of formaldehyde that is described as 37 wt. %
in water.  This formulation has a 7-8% methyl alcohol concentration and
a ~0.008% formic acid concentration.  I was curious about this other
formulation because with these lower concentrations of methanol and
formic acid, I would expect it to be less acidic.  In   Does anyone
have experience (or an opinion) with this formulation of formaldehyde?

Thanks!

Chris
Christina A. Wolfe
Collection Manager, Herpetology
Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
University of Oklahoma
2401 Chautauqua Avenue
Norman, OK 73026

405.325.7771