[NHCOLL-L:2664] Re: Fwd: Re: USFWS and 3-177 forms

James B. Ladonski jladonski at fieldmuseum.org
Thu May 19 14:45:25 EDT 2005

Thanks Mike et al.,

This is one thing that is confusing me, the difference between "clearance"
and "declarations".  For example, 50 CFR 14.55 ("Exceptions to clearance
requirements") states, in part:

Except for wildlife requiring a permit pursuant to part 17 or 23 of this
subchapter B, clearance is not required for the importation of the
following wildlife:

(d) Dead, preserved, dried, or embedded scientific specimens or parts
thereof, imported or exported by accredited scientists or accredited
scientific institutions for taxonomic or systematic research purposes.
Except: That this exception will not apply to any specimens or parts
thereof taken as a result of sport hunting.

I read this as saying scientific specimens do not need to be "cleared" by
USFWS, either on import or export.  Is this correct, or am I taking it out
of context?  If that is correct, then what is the purpose of the
3-177?  How is that different from "clearance"?  I am especially confused
by 50 CFR 14.64 ("Exceptions to export declaration requirements"), which is
what Mike included below.  Specifically:

  b) Except for wildlife requiring a permit pursuant to part 16, 17, 18,
21, or 23 of
  this subchapter B, a Declaration for the Importation or Exportation of
Fish or Wildlife
  (Form 3-177) does not have to be filed for the exportation of the following:

  (3) Shipments of dead, preserved, dried, or embedded scientific specimens
or parts
  thereof, exported by accredited scientists or accredited scientific
institutions for
  taxonomic or systematic research purposes. An exporter or his/her agent
must file a
  Form 3-177 within 180 days of exportation with the appropriate Assistant
Regional
  Director-Law Enforcement in the Region where the exportation occurs. The
declaration
  must identify the specimens to the most accurate taxonomic classification
reasonably
  practicable using the best available taxonomic information, and must
declare the
  country of origin. Except: That this exception will not apply to any
specimens or parts
  thereof taken as a result of sport hunting.

Again, this initially gives me the impression that a 3-177 does not need to
be filed for scientific specimens, although the second sentence of item (3)
clearly states a 3-177 must be filed within 180 days.  Is this a
contradiction of item (b)?

Thanks everyone,

Jamie