[NHCOLL-L:2670] RE: Taxidermy cleaning

Bob Glotzhober bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Wed May 25 07:07:35 EDT 2005

I have used a product on mammals called "Mount Brite".  The label says it can also be used on feathers -- but I've not tried that.  Cleaning birds is a bit more difficult.  A friend who is a taxidermist here in Ohio once told me that he uses a technique on birds used by a taxidermist he knows (did not give me the name) who works for the Milwaukee Public Museum, but is not at liberty to explain the "safely guarded secret" that the gentleman told him.  He has cleaned several birds for us and they came out very nice -- even some that were over a hundred years old.

By the way, Mount Brite is available from WASCO (Wildlife Artist Supply Company), which can be found at www.taxidermy.com

If anyone knows the technique used by "the taxidermist who works at the Milwaukee Public Museum" -- pass it along!

Bob Glotzhober
Robert C. Glotzhober          614/  297-2633
Curator, Natural History       bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Avenue
Columbus, Ohio  43211-2497

Visit the website of the Ohio Historical Society at:
     www.ohiohistory.org and check out our online collections catalog.

*	See or purchase Dragonflies and Damselflies of Ohio
*	or the Cedar Bog Symposium II at OHS's
*	NEW E-Store: http://www.ohiohistorystore.com/browse.cfm/2,50.html