[NHCOLL-L:2672] Preparing specimens in-house, biohazard control

ALBE, Monica Jane mjaskel at berkeley.edu
Wed May 25 11:30:36 EDT 2005

Hello,

I am interested in starting a volunteer program of specimen preparation at the MVZ.  To avoid any
issues with people getting sick, I'm looking into improving our biohazard control practices in the
Preparation Lab.

I'd like to get an idea of what other vertebrate museums are doing as far as dealing with West
Nile, Rabies, etc. in their labs.  Does anyone use a Biological Safety Cabinet, or Fume Hood to
prepare suspect specimens?  Any other recommendations?

Any input is appreciated (on or off the NHCOLL list).

Thank you,
Monica Albe
mjaskel at berkeley.edu

Museum of Vertebrate Zoology