[NHCOLL-L:2882] Re: Greenery in Museums

Bob Glotzhober bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Tue Nov 8 11:17:02 EST 2005

Rachel et al.:
Have any of you ever tried preserving real plants with a product called "Never Say Dye Plant Preservative."  It is available from WASCO (Wildlife Artists Supply Company) which is basically a taxidermy supply -- they use it for habitat preparations.  I've tried it a little with mixed results.  I think it takes some time and experimentation.  Once completed, it is authentic looking, looks alive, but is dead and preserved.  You would probably want to double check and eliminate any insects, insect eggs still attached, but since it is no longer living, a variety of approaches should be able to do that. Check it out at:  http://www.taxidermy.com/default.html

Bob
Robert C. Glotzhober          614/  297-2633
Curator, Natural History       bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Avenue
Columbus, Ohio  43211-2497

Visit the website of the Ohio Historical Society at:
     www.ohiohistory.org and check out our online collections catalog.

*	See or purchase Dragonflies and Damselflies of Ohio
*	or the Cedar Bog Symposium II at OHS's
*	NEW E-Store: http://www.ohiohistorystore.com/browse.cfm/2,50.html