[NHCOLL-L:2832] Re: Vapona Stips for Entomology Collections

Gretchen Anderson gretcha at smm.org
Tue Sep 20 18:43:05 EDT 2005

Hi Jane,

It is my understanding that vapona is not approved for use in museums. You
might want to check the local and federal regulations for dichlorvos
(Vapona is the trade name). Insects will become resistant to it.
Additionally there are suspected human health issues.

We no longer use any pestide with our insect (or other collections). We use
standard IPM methods -- combining environmental controls with good house
keeping. We monitor all collections areas and all susceptible collections
regularly. All PDB and  naphthalene from the collection before we moved to
a new facility in 1999.  All of the biological collections went through
freezing at that time and we have had no problem with infestation since
then.  Non-toxic IPM methodology is the standard for pest control today.

The pesticides traditionally used in museums carry with them some serious
consequences -- both in human  health issues
and contaminated collections. In addition, they are not particularly
effective in controlling the little beasties. It is better to develop and
implement an IPM plan that allows better understanding of why the pests are
there and what we can do to reduce the populations without completely
relying on poisons.

The museum is just a different type of ecosystem -- one that we
created.  Maybe you can get your new curator to see it in those terms.

Ok I will get off my soap box -- I have a bunch of online and off line
references -- contact me off list if you want them -- orwant to chat more
about the subject!

Good luck!
Gretchen Anderson
Conservator