[NHCOLL-L:3029] Re: Fluid collections on compactor systems

Simmons, John E jsimmons at ku.edu
Thu Apr 6 12:13:11 EDT 2006

Gretchen and Rebecca,

You remember correctly.  There were two presentations back-to-back by
Kate Shaw and myself about our purpose-build building and compactors for
the fluid preserved collections.  Andy Bentley (who replaced Kate here
several years ago) has already responded that our compactors work very
well.  We have a wire-rack shelving system with a galvanized metal mat
over the rack.  The galvinzed mat is bored out to 50% perforation for
the sprinkler system.  If the shelving is opened and closed properly, as
Andy said, we get little or no jar movement.

John E. Simmons
Collection Manager, Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research
Center
and
Director, Museum Studies Program
University of Kansas
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, Kansas 66045-7561
Telephone 785-864-4508; FAX 785-864-5335
jsimmons at ku.edu <mailto:jsimmons at ku.edu>
www.nhm.ku.edu/herpetology/ <http://nhm.ku.edu/herpetology/>
www.ku.edu/~museumst/ <http://www.ku.edu/~museumst/>