[NHCOLL-L:3158] FW: Importation of preserved museum specimens into Australia for scientific research

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Tue Aug 15 14:58:06 EDT 2006

Hi all

Below is an email discussion (a long thread so start at the bottom and work your way up) that I had with Alison Heard from AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service) that handles all incoming biological materials into Australia.  I initially contacted them to see how we could smooth over the process of getting specimens into Australia as a couple of people had issues.

I think the take home message here is to mark clearly on the outside of the package, that the specimens are scientific research specimens, of no commercial value (as usual) and then add the fact that all internal packages are at least 80% full and the type of preservative that has been used.  It probably would help to also include a listing of what species are contained in the package i.e. a loan invoice would be good.

Also note the link to the regulations for animal or plant material entering the country:  Animal or plant specimens - Preserved and fixed <http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8191769&intCommodityId=1346&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=1614551>

Also note that Alison Heard is offering to have recipients within Australia contact her if they are having problems with incoming materials.

Hopefully this will smooth the process.

All the best

Andy

   A  :             A  :             A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
   V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA