[NHCOLL-L:3160] Adhesion of Botany Specimens to Herbarium Sheets

Del Re, Christine delre at mpm.edu
Thu Aug 17 17:38:33 EDT 2006

I am working on a in-house grant funded botany re-housing project which includes the stabilization of plants to herbarium sheets.    Our botanist requires that the entire plant specimen be firmly mounted onto the herbarium sheet: including the entire stem.  Each plant specimen is tugged at and pulled at to make sure that it is completely and absolutely affixed to the herbarium sheet.  Not being a botanist, but a conservator by training, it seems odd that every molecule of a plant is glued, affixed and completely immobilized to the herbarium sheet, especially since most of the stems were originally fixed on the sheets with straps.

Since the references that I have read do not indicate the degree to which a plant is affixed to a sheet, can my colleagues on NHCOLL-L, please enlighten me as to the accepted standard practice on plant immobilization if there is one?  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

my sincere thanks for your consideration of my request, Chris

Christine Del Re		Voice:	(414) 278-2780
Senior Conservator		Fax:	(414) 278-6100
Milwaukee Public Museum	e-mail:	delre at mpm.edu
800 W. Wells St.