[NHCOLL-L:3163] Re: Adhesion of Botany Specimens to Herbarium Sheets

Tom Wendt twendt at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 18 09:31:06 EDT 2006

In teaching our part-time student workers how to mount plants (they
do almost all of our mounting), I emphasize that we are trying to get
a balance between the specimens being firmly attached and protected,
on the one hand, and as useful as possible to researchers, on the
other.  The former point means securely glued at many points, and
sewn in a few places on many bulkier specimens, and not
underestimating the disregard with which the specimens may be teated
at some point by certain botanists.  The usefulness point means that
the specimens should not be SO glued down that there is nothing free
from the sheet (inhibiting the removal of material for boiling up,
molecular studies, etc.)  This concept is the same that, for me,
governs herbarium policies in general: striking the balance between
present utility and use, and preserving the specimens for the future.
So, my vote would be not to glue "every molecule" of the plant to the
sheet.  Using the right glue is also important (for instance, a PVA
like Jade, not Elmers).
Actually, gluing is not in my opinion the best way to mount specimens
(in a perfect world) as already alluded to by Joanna, but we use it
partly because it is faster and is easier to learn (for those of us
who are constantly training part-time mounters) and deals with
poorly-pressed specimens better.  Pinning and strapping have many
advantages.

Tom Wendt

Tom Wendt, Curator			twendt at mail.utexas.edu
Plant Resources Center		tel. 512-471-5904
The University of Texas at Austin	fax 512-232-3402
1 University Station F0404
Austin, Texas 78712-0471  USA