[NHCOLL-L:3167] Re: gluing plants down

Anita F. Cholewa chole001 at umn.edu
Tue Aug 22 09:48:01 EDT 2006

As someone pointed out, rarely can we get 100% of the specimen glued -
generally it's just enough to keep parts from falling off - in fact we
have found with some tropical items that complete gluing causes warping
(even though the specimen is completely dried).  In response to Steve,
it has been my experience that the glue "breaks" before the specimen
does, perhaps because we are using water soluble glue (where're the
chemists).  I have found apparantly intact (no doubt microscopic pieces
break) specimens with remnants of glue attached coming loose from the
sheets.  On the other hand, those older specimens that are held on
solely with cloth straps, can be seen fluttering (and sometimes
breaking) in the meerest breeze of being moved.  The absolute best way
of preserving the specimens would be to never allow access to them. :-\

Anita
Anita F. Cholewa, Ph.D.
Curator of temperate plants
Bell Museum of Natural History