[NHCOLL-L:3108] RE: FW: Shipping of dangerous goods

James B. Ladonski jladonski at fieldmuseum.org
Tue Jun 6 15:12:52 EDT 2006

Thanks Andy,

I want to be sure I understand this.  The US DOT ruled that formalin (3.7%
formaldehyde) is not regulated as a Class 9 substance because it contains
less than 10% formaldehyde?  Seems like that's a rather arbitrary cutoff,
as anyone who works with formalin knows how unpleasant it is - even at the
concentrations we use, it seems hard to believe it wouldn't be classified
as UN 3334 ("Aviation regulated liquid, n.o.s."), a Class 9 substance:

"Any material which has narcotic, noxious or other properties such that in
the event of spillage or leakage on an aircraft, extreme annoyance or
discomfort could be caused to crew members so as to prevent the correct
performance of assigned duties."

Certainly this is open to interpretation but as far as I know, the burden
of proof would be on the shipper if an IATA or DOT inspector declared a
package containing formalin to be dangerous goods.  Formalin, in the
confined space of an airplane, would clearly cause "discomfort" in most
people.  That's why we work with it in a hood or in the presence of other
adequate ventilation.  Whether it would cause people to falter in their
duties is questionable, but we have to get all the gray areas removed from
this issue.  As Andy noted, we desperately need consensus and consistency
on these matters.  Leaving things open to interpretation invites trouble.

Andy's question about why wintergreen is unregulated ("...due to some
lobbying by the undertakers who use this in embalming...") is
interesting.  We as a community have discussed this dangerous goods problem
for at least the last three years, and we still have no permanent
solution.  I don't understand why we don't use our government
representatives to approach the regulatory agencies, airlines, carriers,
etc. and get the rules changed.  I know we are moving in that direction
now, but why the delay?  Corporations do this routinely, especially in the
US.  And it seems they don't just get exemptions; they get rewritten
rules.  Natural history museums are global in distribution and the scope of
their work, which should actually make lobbying easier.  I wonder how long
a multi-national corporation like Microsoft (or Anheuser-Busch for a more
accurate comparison) would sit idle while some government regulations
inhibit their business practices.

Andy Bentley has gone far above and beyond the call of duty in his pursuit
to get these matters resolved.  When the dangerous goods shipping problem
is finally resolved, I propose it be termed "the Bentley Solution" or some
such thing to recognize all his hard work.  He has truly done a fantastic
job.  But we are probably kidding ourselves if we (as a community) think we
can fix this alone.  As distasteful as it may be, perhaps the corporate
model is the one we should follow in this case.  We don't need to pay off
politicians in some dark alley or back room, but let's at least get them
involved.  "Big Business" has shown us repeatedly that this works (most
folks complain about some aspect of it every day).  Our museums and
universities are becoming more and more corporate every year; why not
embrace it for once and get this problem fixed?

Sorry for my naive rant.

Jamie

Mr. James B. Ladonski
Assistant Collections Manager