[NHCOLL-L:2991] Re: ladder

Ellen Faller eleanor.faller at yale.edu
Tue Mar 7 15:42:27 EST 2006

I bought a 5 step Cramer ladder from Gaylord. My cases are stacked 2
high, and there is about the same distance within the aisle.
The ladder moves easily, is solid/stable when you are on the steps. I
had a choice of colors. The best part, in my opinion, is that the
"safety railing", which is supposed to keep you from falling off,
comes as a separate piece. Without the railing, 5 step ladder JUST
fits under the door of the upper case so I don't have to do lots of
"back and forthing" with the ladder when working in the upper cases.
Because the cases are only slightly farther apart than the railing,
falling off the ladder to the sides is not really an issue.
I have another stepladder with the railing as an integral part of the
stepladder and it is such a pain to use because that railing gets in
the way all the time, especially when wanting to pull out drawers in
the middle or lower part of the upper case. Don't get me started on
that, or on how badly that other ladder moves. I have permanent
callouses on my shins from it suddenly stopping.
  The Cramer ladder was more expensive but in 3 months of use it has
been worth every penny. I've got the railing in the corner, so it
could be attached if someone insisted.
  good luck,
Ellen Faller