[NHCOLL-L:3007] responses to shipping herps to Indonesia

Chris Conroy ondatra at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 17 18:40:46 EST 2006

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions for
shipping fluid preserved herps to Indonesia.
Below are my initial email and many of the
accepted quantities of ethanol are fine, as long
as the box is properly labeled. I am getting my
campus EH&S person to verify it is packed
correctly, but this is a one-time deal. One
person at DHL suggested that these would be
classified as biological or diagnostic specimens,
though they could not definitely tell me how to
classify herps. They directed me to DOT in
Washington. They passed the buck to California.
Sacramento did not answer the phone and Alameda
County and San Francisco offices also could not
tell me what a biological/diagnostic specimen was.

In case anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area is
interested, I am trying to put together a one day
training for IATA and CFR at UC Berkeley next
month. Email me off the list for more info.

Chris Conroy

Dear NHColl list,

       I am trying to find a way to ship a large
number of preserved reptiles and amphibians from
California to Indonesia. I am aware that Fedex
and UPS do not ship animals whole or in parts. I
just spoke with DHL and they have the same
policy. Even taxidermied specimens are
prohibited. Any suggestions?  And to make it
better, these are typical herp specimens which
means they have been preserved in formalin and
are stored in 70% ethanol. If we knew we could
ship very quickly, under a week, we could ship in
water. But, we would prefer to ship in dilute
ethanol. That has restrictions as well.

Thanks for any advice,

Chris Conroy

chris,

I've heard this from folks before.  Dunno why
people hit the wall on the dead animal thing.  I
do online FedEx for over-seas and in the section
where it asks what they are I enter "preserved
scientific materials of no commercial value".  We
even had the graphics dept. make labels for the
box that say this.

Other issues are:

IATA issues with ETOH volume. (have you guys been IATA trained yet?)
A document from you "To whom it concerns"
detailing the chemical history of the specimen...
what fluids has it been in over the years
(Australia needs this sometimes).
Your Institutional CITES number, even if these are non-CITES taxa.
A pre-cleared USFW 3-177.. speeds the plow on the receiver end, usually.
you might (!) require a vet certificate for the
specimens.  China required one because of Avian
flu.  other Asian countries might also.  We are
having the Yale vets write standard cover sheets
for each of the common prep-types indicating what
all that prep method kills.

But as far as FedEx is concerned, they ship
Scientific materials and even specimens all the
time.  heck, they also ship live insects, chicken
eggs, live animals (for pre-approved zoos) and
even meat and leather.  but if you call it "dead
lizard".. well.. that's just gross.  Note that
they do also ship frozen human tissues and semen
samples and things like that.  As with other
things, it's in who you talk to and in what you
call it.

All that said.. does Indonesia have rules about
this stuff?  Maybe that's the issue and not FedEx.

Greg

Hi Chris

First off, NEVER ship things in water - no matter
how quickly.  The osmotic pressure changes will
do irreparable damage to your specimens.

Fed-Ex DOES ship specimens if you use the small
quantity exceptions regulations as outlined by
IATA.

Essentially, excepted quantities are small
quantities of a dangerous good allowed in courier
packages.  In the case of 70% ethanol (which is a
Class 3, Packing group II substance) you can have
30ml in each internal package and 500ml total for
the whole package.  The other problem you may
face is that Fed-Ex is not allowed to transport
dangerous goods WITHIN certain countries.  You
may want to check whether Indonesia is on this
list.  If it is you will only be able to get the
specimens to the international airport and no
further.  Your contact at the other end may be
able to go and collect them though.

I will send you a stock email that I have been
sending to all interested parties outlining the
regulations for domestic and international
shipping of specimens.  The only catch is that in
order to use these regulations you will need to
find someone who is trained (or get yourself
trained) to pack and ship dangerous goods.  Your
EHS unit on campus may be able to help with this.
Our EHS unit here at KU trained all of our
collection managers to be dangerous goods
shippers and packers at no charge.

Detailed email to follow.  Let me know if any of it doesn't make any sense.

All the best

Andy

I've been using DHL for international shipments.  I can talk to you
about this off list.  It was a little tough getting it set up and
there's more paperwork (I have .pdfs for everything), but now it's
working great and faster and cheaper than USPS. (What did they tell
you?) DHL does a lot of business with University of Michigan and I was
able to make arrangements to ship ethanol with a small quantities
exception. But there is nothing about prohibiting zoological specimens.
They clear all the shipments with customs and file the USFW 3177 forms
as well.

Greg Schneider

Chris -

This issue is unbelievable frustrating, because
it is quite apparent that the outcome depends on
who you talk to at each shipping company.  I have
successfully sent specimens to Italy twice and to
Brazil once via DHL.  I contacted the
international division at 800.225.5345 (option 2,
option 1...if the automated system has not
changed).  You might also call the DHL hazardous
goods people to confirm everything is fine at
800.588.2002.  I would tell them the following:

  - You have scientific specimens that have been
preserved in 70% ethanol - you will need to be
descriptive on your airbill, but focus on
"preserved scientific specimens," even though you
will list the species and such on the paperwork.
This small difference may place you into a
different category for the shipper than
industries/people sending "animals."
  - If your specimens are small enough, you can
ship under the small quantities exemption (49 CFR
173.4) so you can talk to the DHL people about
this and the fact that you are aware of the US
regulations, etc.  Internationally, this is the
"Dangerous Goods in Excepted Quantities"
classification.  You will need the special label
to affix to your boxes for this
(<http://www.hazmatpac.com>www.hazmatpac.com -
LQ12 product on
<http://www.hazmatpac.com/page50.html>http://www.hazmatpac.com/page50.html).

You will need to complete a Proforma Invoice in
triplicate, and the DHL folks can walk you
through this.  I also complete the USFWS 3-177
ahead of time and include a copy of the cleared
declaration.  I assume you have taken the
hazardous materials shipping course, so some of
this info may just be connecting the snippets of
information from that course.

I have only shipped under the "Dangerous Goods in
Excepted Quantities" classification, but our
mammals department has shipped fluid specimens at
least once via Fed-Ex (like you, I could not get
Fed-Ex to allow shipment of my specimens, but our
Mammals CM could) with a large amount of ethanol
(they paid the haz-mat fee and bought all of the
paint can-type containers for shipping these
types of materials).

I feel your frustration...good luck.  Feel free
to call if I can answer any questions based on my
experiences.

Chris

Chris,

I manage the Benthic Invertebrate Collection at
SIO and send whole invertebrate specimens
overseas via FedEx frequently (mostly to Europe).
The Hazardeous Shipping person at UCSD has me
list them as diagnostic specimens and the box is
given a shipping code that identifies them as
invertebrates.  I sometimes ship specimens in 95%
EtOH by reducing the volume to a minimum.  Quick
shipping combined with dilution and volume
reduction of the EtOH seems to be the best way to
go by trying to fall into the "Excepted
Quantities" catagory for percentages and volumes.
FedEx insists on next day delivery to limit the
time the hazardous materials are in their hands.
You might consider using next day shipping and
using minimal water or low percentage EtOH and
cheese cloth to keep the specimens damp in
transit.  The rules are pretty specific about
volumes and percentages, so with some clever
manipulation of your preservative and shipping
transit time you should be able to ship them.  I
have not shipped to Indonesia, so maybe there is
something specific about that country.

I am not sure why you are having problems with
FedEx unless the person you are talking to is not
aware of all the rules.  Isn't there an on campus
person you have to route shippments of hazardeous
materials through that is working with FedEx on a
frequent basis?  We are forced to do that here at
UCSD and I would assume that would be the case at
other UC campuses also.  But then again
continuity within UC is not always the case.
This possibly speaks to another issue that has
been discussed down here, the need for UC
collections at the different campuses to have
some sort or cohesivness or connectedness within
UC.  Feel free to ask other questions.  If you
want to call me I can be reached at (858)
822-2818.

Regards,

Larry Lovell

Kathy,
We ship herps in cheesecloth moistened with 20%
ethanol, double or triple sealed in plastic bags
with an absorbent included. It is my
understanding that if the ethanol is less than
24% and the rest is water and no other hazardous
chemicals, you can send it without declaring it
dangerous goods, usually USPS Express or first
class registered. On the customs slip however one
has to declare that they are "preserved
scientific specimens, no endangered species, no
commercial value" and give a number of specimens,
etc. We have had reports that DHL to Australia
charges an exorbitant amount just to store the
specimens as they go through customs. I don't
know if Indonesia is different. Good luck.
Unfortunately every rep at these companies tends
to give a different answer. Ask Jeff Williams,
collection manager at the Smithsonian
(williamsjt at si.edu).

Rick Feeney
Collection Manager, Ichthyology/Herpetology
Natural History Museum
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90007
213-763-3374