[NHCOLL-L:3060] CAS open during Botany 2006

Trock, Debra dtrock at calacademy.org
Tue May 2 11:02:09 EDT 2006

For all of you attending the Botany 2006 meeting in Chico, I would like to
let you know that the CAS herbarium can be open and available for visits on
Saturdays both before and after the meetings.  We could also arrange to be
here later in the evenings a few days before or after if anyone is
interested.  During the regular work week, someone is here by 7:00 a.m. if
you like getting an early start, and we normally close at 4:30.  So if anyone
is interested in later evenings or Saturdays, please e-mail me off list, so
that we can plan to be here.

A reminder....we are not in Golden Gate Park at this time (but the
collections are fully accessible) .........the Academy is temporarily located
at 875 Howard Street in downtown San Francisco.  We are only 2 blocks from
the Powell Street BART station, and there are several bus routes nearby.
Street parking is generally not available.  Nearby garages and lots are
fairly convenient, but can be a bit pricey.  There are plenty of hotels
nearby, but they are also quite expensive.  Your most economical choice is to
stay somewhere in the East Bay, or further south on the peninsula, near a
BART line and commute in.  It will take 30-45 minutes depending on how far
out you are.....but is much less hassle.  Most public transport is crowded
between 7 and 8:30 a.m., so early is best.  If you plan to drive in from the
East Bay or North Bay, be prepared to pay $3 to cross the Bay Bridge, $5 to
cross the Golden Gate, and $15-20 to park.

See you in Chico!

Dr. Debra Trock

Collections Manager, Herbarium

California Academy of Sciences