[NHCOLL-L:3079] Re: Can Thermal Laser printers be used to produce labels in spirit jars?

Mark O'Brien mfobrien at umich.edu
Tue May 23 08:43:14 EDT 2006

As far as I know, no thermal-printed labels are likely to last any length of
time ‹ they are designed for short-term labeling solutions.  They are not
archival, as there is no ink deposition, and even when not immersed in a
solution, fade after 5 years or so.  I do recommend the Lexmark ink-jet
printers (the cheap Z series), as the black inks do not dissolve in ethanol,
and after at least 6 years, no degradation of the labels has resulted,
unlike laser printers (which use a plastic/carbon matrix that is ³fused² to
the paper).

Mark