[NHCOLL-L:3206] Online Exhibits Fundamentals Course in November

Helen Alten helen at collectioncare.org
Sat Oct 7 13:45:03 EDT 2006

*** Course Announcement ***

MS106: Exhibit Fundamentals: Ideas to Installation
Instructor: Lin Nelson-Mayson
Dates: November 6, 2006 to December 1, 2006
Cost: $395
Location: www.museumclasses.org

Nearly every museum develops exhibits, but how can we improve communication
with visitors while taking care of our objects? Exhibit Fundamentals
explores exhibits from idea to final installation in a variety of settings.
Topics include exhibit theory, the role of the museum's mission, creating a
timeline, accessibility and script writing. Also covered are design
elements, installation techniques, object safety and security, visitor
safety and evaluations. Each student develops an exhibit plan for his or
her museum.

Course Outline
1.      Introduction: Exhibition Theory and the Museums Mission
2.  Intellectual and Physical Accessibility & Exhibition Evaluations
3.  Creating a Timeline and Writing Texts
4.  The Role of Design Elements and Basic Installation Techniques
5.  Object and Visitor Safety
6.  Conclusion

Logistics:
Participants in Exhibit Fundamentals work at their own pace through six
sections and interact through online chats. Instructor Lin Nelson-Mayson is
available at scheduled times during the course for email support. Exhibit
Fundamentals includes online literature, slide lectures and
student-teacher/group-teacher dialog. The course is limited to 20
participants.
Required texts are:
(1)     Lord, Barry and Gail Dexter. The Manual of Museum Exhibits. Walnut
Creek, CA: AltaMira Press (A Division of Rowman and Littlefield Publishers,
Inc), 2002.
(2)     Serrell, Beverly. Exhibit Labels: An Interpretive Approach. Walnut
Creek, CA: AltaMira Press, 1996.
(Both are good resources; if you don't have them in your library, they can
be ordered on line from Alta Mira at http://www.altamirapress.com/)

Exhibit Fundamentals runs four weeks. Sign up at www.museumclasses.org and
pay for the course at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html. If you
have trouble completing an on-line order, please contact Helen Alten at
helen at collectioncare.org or Eric Swanson at eric at collectioncare.org

The Instructor
Lin Nelson-Mayson, with over 25 years of museum experience at small and
large institutions, was recently the director of ExhibitsUSA, a nonprofit
exhibition touring organization that annually tours over 30 art and
humanities exhibitions across the country.  For five years, she was a
coordinator or judge for the American Association of Museums’ Excellence in
Exhibitions Competition. She currently serves on the exhibition committee
for the National Sculpture Society. Ms. Nelson-Mayson has extensive
experience with the planning, preparation, research and installation of
exhibitions Ms Nelson-Mayson’s experience includes teaching museum studies
and museology courses.  Her particular interest is the needs of small
museums. She is now the director of the Goldstein Gallery at the University
of Minnesota.

Her credentials include the following;
Ÿ       An MFA from The Ohio State University in sculpture and critical
writing
Ÿ       A BFA from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio in painting.
Ÿ       Work as a curator for the Ross County Historic Society
(Chillicothe, Ohio), the Art Museum of South Texas (Corpus Christi), the
Columbia Museum of Art (South Carolina), and the Minnesota Museum of
American Art.

Student Comments:
“I liked how Lin’s lectures were interesting, easy to follow, and written
from experience.”

“I thought the chats were valuable.  That interaction made this class more
than just a correspondence course.”

“One of the most important strengths of this class was the enthusiasm and
knowledge of Lin.  During chats it was apparent that she wanted to include
all participants so she made great efforts to address everyone who was
there and her comments to me personally were always positive and
upbeat.  She made you want to do as much as you could.  I also appreciated
and recognized the expertise of Helen and Eric.  Their input was always
valuable.”

“Lin was very helpful with her suggestions and feedback to my assignments
and journal. She also had a way of remembering her students during the
chats. Impressive.”