[NHCOLL-L:3388] FW: Re: bone glue?

Sasha Stollman sstollman at canterburymuseum.com
Mon Apr 16 17:32:00 EDT 2007

For the two situations below, the stable acrylic resin Acryloid B-72
(Paraloid B-72), an ethyl methacrylate co-polymer, is a good option.
It's available from www.conservationresources.com and other conservation
material suppliers.  For application tips, contact a local conservator
who can examine your collection items in person.  In the case of the
articulated porpoise, if the fin is too heavy to be adhered securely at
the one end, yet cannot be pinned, external support may be required.
The adhesive selected should not be stronger than the object itself, as
the original material will likely fracture.  For additional information,
see "The Conservation Treatment of Canterbury Museum's Blue Whale
Skeleton" available for downloading from the Notice Board at
www.conservators.org.nz .  Feel free to contact me directly with any
further questions.

Sasha Stollman
Conservator