[NHCOLL-L:3416] RE: light levels for mineral specimens

Kris kmt1 at gwtc.net
Thu Apr 26 14:18:43 EDT 2007

Cherry

We have recorded radiant light readings with HOBO dataloggers on fossil
material for the past three years. These fossils are in situ enclosed in a
building and exposed to light via windows above the bonebed.  About 18
months ago we initiated a study on radiant light and the impact on specimens
as readings were above considered acceptable standards.  We noticed fading,
darkening, yellowing, and embrittlement, all signs of damage by radiant
light.  CCI, SPNHC, and NPS are the sources for recommended standards on
radiant light.  Readings should not exceed 200 lux or 20 lumen for organic
materials and 300 lux or 30 lumen for materials that are not light
sensitive.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Kris