[NHCOLL-L:3539] Re: Tiny silicified trilobite bits

rjb at ou.edu rjb at ou.edu
Tue Aug 14 17:39:57 EDT 2007

Janet:

Nearly all of our silicified materials are stored dried, either mounted on micropaleo slides, SEM stubs, or loose on acid-free tissue paper in plastic boxes. Some of the older collections of silicified trilobites are fairly robust and are stored loosely. Robust is a relative term here, they are all quite fragile. I would prefer loose storage for ease of manipulation, I would think that once glued to a slide or SEM stub, they will be there forever. We also have been reluctant to loan any of this material due to the high likelyhood of damage in shipping.

Roger J. Burkhalter
Collections Manager, Invertebrate Paleontology
Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
University of Oklahoma
Norman