[NHCOLL-L:3314] Two questions about fluid collections

Chris Conroy ondatra at berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 2 13:14:39 EST 2007

Hi,

      Two questions about fluid collections.

1. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced portable hydrometer, to
check ethanol concentrations in place in collections?  We have about
247,000 herps, 17,000 mammals, and 3,300 birds in fluid and it would
be great to check concentration in the collection without moving
them. Many of our jars are quite small, too small for our floating
hydrometer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. We recently acquired a large (800) collection of herps that were
preserved in denatured ethanol. Is anyone familiar with the long-term
effects of this as a preservative, both for morphology and DNA?  Many
of the specimens are tadpoles, and only a few have been fixed in
formalin. At the moment, all look fine.  Does anyone have a protocol
for changing from 80% denatured ethanol to 95% ethanol, or to
formalin?

Please respond off list and I can send a summary back to NHColl.

Thanks,

Chris Conroy
--
Chris J. Conroy
ondatra at berkeley.edu

Staff Curator of Mammals, Reptiles and Amphibians
Museum of Vertebrate Zoology
3101 Valley Life Sciences Building
UC Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720