[NHCOLL-L:3294] RE: Gallon Size Clear Plastic Containers

Robert Waller RWALLER at mus-nature.ca
Thu Jan 18 10:09:00 EST 2007

The Canadian Museum of Nature did some experiments with different jars and seals.  Our tests of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) jars indicated an increase in concentration of a 70%v/v ethanol solution when stored at a mean RH of about 35%.  This must be a result of a good mechanical seal and a higher permeability to water than to ethanol.  PET, also marketed as Mylar, is recognized as a stable material in many dry conservation applications such as document encapsulation and some containers.   These reports of 10-20 exposures to fluids showing no obvious problems are encouraging.  Our results on ethanol barrier effectiveness and concentration increases were most interesting but were not pursued further - too many most interesting roads to follow.  I recommend 1) seeking the advice of a polymer chemist (e.g., Scott Williams, CCI) on the likely long-term behavior of alcohol immersed PET and 2) testing a sample (minimum 10, better 30) of any proposed jars to determine leakage rate and concentration change characteristics before committing budget and staff time to introducing a new type of jar.  If well designed, that testing can be completed over 3 to 6 months using just a few days of staff time.

Rob

Robert Waller, Ph.D.

Chief, Conservation

Chef de conservation

Musée canadien de la nature/Canadian Museum of Nature

C.P. 3443, Succ. D              /P.O. Box 3443, Stn D

Ottawa, ON

K1P 1P4

Tel.:  (613)566-4797

Fax:  (613)364-4027