[NHCOLL-L:3297] Shipping dangerous goods

Paul Callomon callomon at acnatsci.org
Tue Jan 23 11:59:46 EST 2007

Dear listers,

I am seeking information concerning the most economical methods for
shipping dangerous goods, and specifically alcohol solutions. I recently
underwent training as a hazmat shipper, and am familiar with 49CFR, IATA
and IMDG regulations, so that part is fine. However, I would like to
hear from collections managers who regularly ship alcohol-preserved
specimens both domestically and internationally, and specifically to
find out:
- what the most economical carriers are. FedEx, for example, is
hideously expensive if even excepted quantities of alcohol are in a
package;
- what (if any) work-arounds people are employing to avoid massive
surcharges for DG shipments;
- which countries are known not to accept any dangerous goods
shipments. I have heard that this is true of at least New Zealand.
- what resources are available on the web to folks like me who want to
keep up with developments in this field.

Regards,

Paul Callomon
Collections Manager
Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Department of Malacology
Academy of Natural Sciences
1900 Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
Tel 215-405-5096
Fax 215-299-1170
Secretary, American Malacological Society
On the web at www.malacological.org