[NHCOLL-L:3643] Re: DHL

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Nov 15 12:48:41 EST 2007

>In regard to having to use DHL:  We routinely ship and receive
>frozen specimens (both whole carcasses and tissues) via FEDEX with
>no problems.

This differs from our experience. We receive packages through FedEx
occasionally, when people send us specimens (inevitably, such
shipments do not define the contents), but we have never, ever been
able to get them to approve our shipping of any material OUT. When we
call them up to make sure a shipment will be okay (with all the
necessary permits), we are told that they absolutely will not handle
such packages, whether we have permits or not.

This is why we need some sort of lobbyists; to establish at least ONE
route, maybe even the USPS, where there is an explicit policy in
place so scientific specimens can be shipped without inappropriate
interference, and maybe - GASP! - actually *expedited* instead.

Peace,