[NHCOLL-L:3597] Mycological herbaria

Tonya Haff thaff at ucsc.edu
Mon Oct 8 13:03:36 EDT 2007

Dear all,

I am hoping some of you out there can help me with a few questions I have
about curating mycological herbaria.  We currently have a small (about 500
specimens) voucher collection of dried mushroom specimens that I would like
to properly curate. Some specimens have been dried whole, while others
(especially larger specimens) have been sliced and dried.  Some of the
specimens are somewhat bulky.  At present the specimens are kept in sealed
zip-loc bags and stored in boxes.  I would very much like to know how any of
you who have mushroom collections organize, contain and house your
specimens.  In specific, I'm wondering:

- In what type of cabinet are mushroom specimens typically kept?  We have
room in plant herbaria cabinets, as well as in vertebrate (sliding shelf)
cabinets, but I'm not sure if there is such thing as "fungus" cabinets?
- In what type of container are the specimens held (ie envelope, box, bag)?
It seems to me that there is a real danger of specimens getting crushed - do
you all have any suggestions for avoiding this while still being economical
with cabinet space?
-Given the current state of taxonomic confusion and upheaval, do you have
any suggestions for useful ways to organize specimens?

As this collection is still growing, I would also really suggestions on
managing data and labels, as well.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cheers,

Tonya Haff