[NHCOLL-L:3600] Re: Butterflies without bodies

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 10 12:31:27 EDT 2007

>We have a 25 year-old collection of butterflies still in glassine
>envelopes that suffered a dermestid infestation resulting in many
>with no bodies.  The wings are in perfectly good condition and there
>is good collection data on most of them.  I want to keep them, but
>am unsure how to store them, since they can't be pinned in the
>traditional method.  Has anyone come upon this problem?  I was
>wondering if the wings could be spread between two pieces of Mylar?
>Thanks for your help.

Dragonflies and damselflies are traditionally stored permanently in
glassines, and this is not uncommon for leps (our museum has some
five drawers filled with glassine-stored leps); there's no reason not
to simply leave the wings as they are, as long as the species are
arranged in some sort of recognizable order.

Peace,