[NHCOLL-L:3951] Vats for storing large specimens in alcohol

Frederick, Moretta RBCM:EX MFrederick at royalbcmuseum.bc.ca
Wed Aug 27 12:43:22 EDT 2008

We have a significant number of our specimens stored in large plastic
vats made by Schoeller Arca Systems (their 'big box' line).
The lid has a gasket inside the rim that forms a seal with the upper lip
of the box.  However, these gaskets become stuck to the box over time,
ultimately coming dislodged from the lid and falling into the alcohol.
Obviously, these seals aren't working, so we would like to improve upon
our current system, both in terms of the material used for the gasket,
and the method used to secure the lid to the box (currently it's just
gravity).

My question is threefold:
	- does anyone else use this product (Schoeller Arca Systems 'Big
Box') to store specimens in alcohol?
	- has anyone experienced this problem with the gasket and what
have they done to fix the seal?
	- what types of containers are other collections using to store
fish and inverts too large for a gallon jar?

Thanks

Moretta Frederick
Collections Manager, Invertebrates, Fish,
Reptiles, and Amphibians
Royal British Columbia Museum
mfrederick at royalbcmuseum.bc.ca
(250) 387-2932